Patchwork and Quilting - Stage 1
This variant is currently sold out
I am currently running a waiting list for this course. Please email or ring to enquire about the next available space.
General course times
- Mornings: 10.00am -12.30pm (5weeks)
- Evenings: 6.30pm - 9.00pm (5weeks)
The Patchwork and Quilting Stage 1 Sewing Course is suitable for the those who have completed Learn to Sew Stage 1, or for those who have basic sewing knowledge and wish to develop their skills into Patchwork and Quilting.
Like every form of sewing, there are fundamental key skills that are needed to produce beautiful patchworks. This course begins with looking at these key skills to ensure students are using professional methods from the start. How to cut accurately, use a rule, mat and rotary cutter as well as understanding fractional measuring are all vital skills. Students are shown how to apply these skills as well as the importance of piecing and pressing and how to use a walking foot for even fabric feed. Rail Fence, Speed Squares, Easy Triangles, Fast Corners and Flying Geese are all techniques that are covered once the fundamentals are in place.
During the course students cover three piecing techniques that are also then quilted. Most of our students also spend time at home between sessions, practising their new skills, meaning when they come back they are ready to achieve even more in class.
- Advanced machine skills
- Basic colour matching
- Using a rotary cutter
- Measuring and pressing accurately
- Sewing precisely using a ¼” foot and stitch in the ditch foot
- Piecing techniques: rail fence and speed squares , easy triangles, including flying geese
- Detailed course notes
- 8 fat quarters (equivalent to 2 metres) - own choice
- Wadding and backing to complete one item
- Use of studio equipment and sewing machine