Learn to Sew - Stage 2
This variant is currently sold out
General course times
- Mornings: 10.00am -12.30pm (5weeks)
- Evenings: 6.30pm - 9.00pm (5weeks)
The Learn to Sew Stage 2 Sewing Course is designed to follow on from Learn to Sew Stage 1, reinforcing the basic skills already gained and building on them with the introduction of more advanced skills. Students are guided through reading a commercial pattern, something even the best sewers often struggle to do if they haven’t been properly taught.
The course looks at taking measurements and adjusting a pattern to make a more tailored garment. Students are taught how to pin, cut and accurately press as well as inserting a zip, a simple dart, easing a waistband and using interfacing. Following a clear set of instructions, demonstrations and guidance from Joy, students make their own skirt (some male students have chosen to make a shirt) from a commercial pattern, using their own measurements to make it a perfect fit.
Places are limited to seven to ensure you receive a good balance of tuition time. Our homely studio is fully equipped with new Pfaff and Bernina sewing machines for you to use, but If you wish to use you own machine please contact us beforehand as your machine may need servicing and will require a PAT test, a service we can provide.
- Advanced machine skills
- How to read a commercial pattern
- Take correct body measurements and alter the pattern
- Trace and transfer the pattern
- Understand the properties of fabric
- Marking and cutting out
- Sewing straight and curved seams accurately
- Interface and attach a waistband including under-stitching and stitch in the ditch
- Construct darts, insert a zip and turn up a hem
- Make a vent
- Line the skirt (time permitting)
- Detailed course notes
- Tracing paper
- Zip, fastening
- Use of studio equipment and sewing machine