Learn to Sew - Stage 1
This variant is currently sold out
I am currently running a waiting list for this course. Please email or ring to enquire about the next available space.
General course times
- Mornings: 10.00am -12.30pm (5weeks)
- Evenings: 6.30pm - 9.00pm (5weeks)
Our Learn to Sew Stage 1 Sewing Course is designed for complete beginners or those wishing to brush up on existing skills. When students arrive they are taken through setting up a sewing machine, either their own machine if they choose to bring one, or one of ours.
Many people know how to use a sewing machine but often lack full understanding of the fundamentals, the learning of which often prevents common problems like thread gathering under the fabric, tension etc.
On this course students are taught the hows and whys of every stage. Once students understand the basics and are confident with the mechanics of the machine they will move on to experimenting with straight stitch, reverse stitch, seams, attaching a button, making a buttonhole and much more. Along the way students will construct both a cushion and a child’s dress, putting their new skills to work. After all, the best learning is doing!
The course is tailored to students needs, broadening their abilities, expelling any boundaries and bridging gaps in basic skill so that nothing stands between them and their creativity!
- Get to know the sewing machine, threading up and tension
- Use different stitches and presser feet
- Stitch straight, even seams, buttonholes, hems and press seams
- Use a rotary cutter and mat to cut square
- Calculate measurements
- Applique a design using Bondaweb
- Trace your own pattern, noting all markings and their meanings
- Make facings
- Fabric for cushion and dress
- Matching thread, Bondaweb and interfacing
- Buttons for both projects
- Instruction sheet for both projects